Ghost hunting is the new, fun thing. The plethora of paranormal reality shows on multiple cable channels testifies to the popularity of experiencing a touch of the spirit world.
Want to try it yourself? Plenty of paranormal groups offer tours and pay-to-play ghost hunts. If you’re in a city, chances are good a quick Internet search will hook you up with local investigators. You might make new friends and want to get even more involved.
If you’re going to go a-hunting, you must take steps to protect yourself. All the rules for self-protection in non-paranormal situations apply.
- Stay alert.
- Stay aware of your surroundings.
- Go with at least one other person.
- Tell others where you are going and when you expect to be back.
- Don’t trespass; always get permission to enter.
Haunted locations are sometimes off the beaten path, far from the safety of a fast 911 reaction time. They’re also sometimes inhabited by purely physical beings who may or may not be there legally. They may not appreciate your wanderings if you’re in what they consider “their space.”
Physical preparedness is only half the equation, though. What do you do once you’re there, in the space, and shit starts to get weird? The atmosphere shifts, cold settles over you, you feel waves of unsettling emotions, or even a touch, shove or scratch?
Well, damn! Too real for you now? You were hoping for “something” but now you’re getting more than you hoped for? This is not the time to suddenly try and slap up some psychic protections. Take some time before heading out to tune into your own awareness, and take protective measures.
Ummm, psychic what? Whether you think you’re talented in the psy department or not, everyone who walks into a paranormal situation should have some protection, and not the kind you buy in little foil wrappers. Because you’re dealing with beings who may be angry, or may want to try and do you harm, you need to ensure your safety – mental, emotional, spiritual and physical.
If you walk into a situation unprepared, you increase your risk. That’s just basic common sense. You need to wrap your head around the fact that protecting yourself from discarnate beings is part of interacting with the spiritual realms. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for a world of hurt.
How do you do that though?
- Stay calm. Breathe, meditate, pray, take a walk, do whatever works for you to put you in a calm state of mind. It is not a good idea to walk into a location with heightened emotions running through you. An argument with your significant other, road rage, a bad day at work will all wreak havoc on your peace of mind, generating stress, anger, frustration, sadness. There are discarnate beings who love the taste of these emotions. Quite literally they feed off of them, and if you walk in seething from whatever, you are going to ring like a dinner bell and light up like a neon sign blazing “Come and Get It!” into the aether. So get your head in a Zen space before you get to the location.
- Ask for your allies to be near you and keep you safe. Work within whatever spiritual framework resonates with you. Pray for your angels, invoke your guardian spirits, call for your guides, or totem animals. Take time to center yourself, and connect strongly with those beings who love and protect you. Ask that they work with you for the highest good.
- Be confident. Not arrogant. Not in the “I’m the baddest bad ass in the place. I will mess you up, demon! Who wants some?” sense. Arrogance and pride are also delicious for these beings. Be confident in your heart that you are coming from a place of compassion. Set your intention that you are trying to help all beings reach a safe, loving place. Be confident that your allies and your protections will keep you safe.
Bragging and taunting have no place in this work. You might certainly get a TV worthy response, but what you are doing in most cases is tormenting a being who is already in excruciating pain. That’s not brave, or admirable – it puts you in the same class as bullies who kick puppies.
- Surround yourself with protective, white light. I know, we’ve all heard this one a bazillion times. The White Light, blah, blah. Except, this one works. It does. Plain, simple, effective.
There is a catch though – you gotta feel it and see it. In psychic work, often our other senses kick in and we experience sensations of touch, or scents, hearing voices or seeing visions – either with our physical eyes or 3rd eye. Use this to your advantage when setting up protective shields.
So when I say, see it, I mean I want you to visualize a brilliant white light surrounding you, enveloping you completely. Use your imagination, close your eyes if you need to and see this light around you. If you like, it can be tinged with silver, or blue, or purple, but make it bright and make it white.
When I say feel it, I want you to imagine what it feels like when this light surrounds you. Does it feel cozy and warm? Or pleasantly cool? Is it smooth against your skin? Or soft and fuzzy like a snuggly blanket? What sensations make you feel safe? Imagine those accompany this white light.
Next, set the intention in your mind that this white light will surround you until you consciously remove it. See it, feel it, and then tell yourself this will be with you, protecting you, the whole time.
If at any time you feel like it’s slipping or fading, stop, and re-build it in your mind.
You may want to leave the white light up until you get home. Then remember to consciously take it down.
- It’s not just your imagination. Or rather, it is, but your imagination is far more powerful than you probably think. When working in the astral realms or with discarnate beings, thoughts are things. You create with your mind, and you do that with your imagination. It is therefore imperative that you keep your thoughts calm, and clear
It’s a really good idea to cleanse yourself when you leave. Brush a selenite wand over your aura, burn some sage and smudge, whatever cleansing acts work for you. I’ll cover cleansing in detail in another post.
I’m happy to see that interest in the paranormal is on the rise. More and more are waking up to the fact that the world is much bigger, and weirder, than they realized. New investigations, new information are all necessary if we are to truly learn about and understand these strange realms.
Exploring new worlds though, requires caution. Go out there, but do so safely. Common sense and respect are essential.